Re: series question..

Original poster: "resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

If you are running a pole pig stick to at least a 36 kV DC rating on the MMC strings. A typical pole xmfr string would be 18 MMCs in series and then multiple paralleled strings of these "basic 18 series building blocks".

Dr. Resonance

But more importantly, the RMS current rating is surely not sufficient.
There's a good reason that folks building MMC's for use with pigs use
many paralleled strings - to handle the higher current that a high BPS
pig system sees.  Over-currenting a cap will kill it much faster than
over-volting.  The current calculations are a good deal more complex
than the voltage calculations, and having never attempted a pig system,
I've not looked into exactly how to do that.  Terry has links to the
formulas and a program that calculates such things on his MMC page -
http://www.hot-streamer.com/TeslaCoils/MMCInfo/mmcinfo.htm.  Good luck!

Gary Lau
MA, USA

> Original poster: "Chip Ford" <chipford@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> If I have (8) Capacitors rated at .15uf 2000volt. I connect them in
> series. Would my rating now be .019uf @ 16,000volts? If I was to go
> the route of MMC's. How much would one recommend over-rating them for
> longevity's sake. For example, my pole pig output is 14,400 volts.
> Will 16,000 be enough??? Or would one recommend plenty of
over-rating????