Main spark gap across one or both transformer legs?

Original poster: John <guipenguin@xxxxxxxxx>

Hello, I have two questions. I am in the middle of gathering materials and designing my first coil SGTC.

What is a better design....having the main spark gap across the two transformer's legs...and have the cap bang on 1 leg...or have the spark gap connect across 1 leg and have the cap bank connect across the 2 legs of the transformer?

Also, if I plan on using a transformer around ~9kv 30mA is it completely necessary to have a full protection filter such as <http://www.classictesla.com/download/NST_Filter.jpg>http://www.classictesla.com/download/NST_Filter.jpg or can I just make two chokes, wrapping wire around an extremely small diameter PVC pipe along with a safety gap?

Thanks.