Re: COMMENT ON USE OF WOOD IN TC'S

Original poster: FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx In a message dated 10/3/06 6:59:37 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

>It could be the non-monolithic surfaces

On one hand, surface imperfections and dirt tend to cause tracking problems? But on the large scale, HV insulators are designed with ribs to increase the surface tracking distance. Why is a subtle intermediary surface finish advantageous with RF?

>the trapped air content of wood that gives it it's edge.

IIRC from the discussion we had not too long ago regarding insulating between magnifier primaries and secondaries seemed to indicate that any trapped air or voids in the insulation only served to concentrate voltage gradients and contributed to failure from corona. Same reason cap makers go through pains to vacuum their creations. Why does trapped air help wood insulate RF?

If these two properties of wood make it a superior material, can these properties be duplicated in a plastic? A very high-density foam, perhaps? Something possibly cheaper or easier to form bulk structures with?

-Phil LaBudde