Re: Terry Blake gap Maximum power?

Original poster: "Rob Judd" <canska@xxxxxx>

My "propeller gap" has worked well for me so far up to approx 7.2kVA from a
14.4kVA pig, with resulting 8'+ streamers.

My motor is a cap start/induction run 3450RPM 3/4 HP, modified to be
synchronous 3600RPM. 3/4 HP is no doubt overkill, but it was on hand, so it
volunteered for the job. All three electrodes are 3/8" x 7" tungsten rod.
The arbor is simple CPVC pipe with a hand made stop collar to secure the
flying electrode inside the arbor. I cobbled it together to be a proof of
concept, but it proved so rugged and reliable as-is, I never bothered to
rebuild it more robustly.

In fact, I've never had the least bit of trouble with it. After a two minute
run at full power, the electrode tips are dull-red hot, but it has no
visible effect on the coil's performance. It works great, easy to build, and
costs a mere fraction of a big G-10 rotor. I wouldn't hestitate to recommend
it!

Here's a few pics from when I built it...
http://homepage.a5.com/~canska/photos/thumbnails.php?album=12

I don't see any reason why larger dia electrodes couldn't be used though. It
may be worth noting that my coil uses a 9 turn flat primary with ~0.0766mH,
which, as you mentioned, reduces the primary current. Your mileage may vary!

Rob Judd - canska@xxxxxx