Re: what to use for resisters on my bank

Original poster: Mddeming@xxxxxxx In a message dated 10/6/06 11:30:44 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <mailto:Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>Gary.Lau@xxxxxx

Regarding my suggestion that a 15 second discharge period was OK -
perhaps that IS slightly on the long side.  I think I built the resistor
when I was using a single .02uF cap, so the discharge time was half of
the 15 seconds.  But being the devil's advocate, the 15 seconds does
assume that the cap was charged to the peak charging voltage of 21kV.
It's just as likely that the voltage would be anywhere else between zero
and 21kV when the fault occurs, and the discharge time would be
proportionally shorter.  Yes, this is reckless rationale!

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

Hi Gary, John,

For AC charging, V=V(max)*Sin(wt) meaning that 50% of the time the Vc is Over 70% of V(max). and only 1/3 of the time is it at 50% V(max).or less. Of course, getting zapped at 10 kV, 15 kV, or 21 kV is going to be essentially unpleasant. ;^)))

Matt D.