RE: grounding question

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

Hi Peter:

I'm not sure that I explained my point adequately.

I use the terms "counterpoise" and "RF ground" interchangeably, as the
thing that the secondary base connects to.

I wasn't suggesting placing a choke in series between a secondary base
and the RF ground.  Rather, I was suggesting adding a choke between the
(secondary base / RF ground) and the mains safety ground, to ground any
60 Hz fault condition.

I'm curious what other folks read for resistance between their RF
grounds and mains safety ground?

I agree that a Faraday cage should also be connected to the mains
ground, but a cage wasn't part of the original topic.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

> Original poster: "Peter Terren" <pterren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> I wire my cage to my HV ground and to mains ground.  RF ground
> current with a good cage should be small .
> Using a RF choke completely disconnects the ground at TC frequencies
> and should never be used. Try it on a normal TC and see the sparks
> fly across it. Similarly a counterpoise is a partial cage only so
> still large currents to ground so shouldn't use a choke. An imperfect
> Faraday cage should have only small RF currents to ground but should
> still go somewhere otherwise there is a shock risk. The imperfect bit
> mainly arises from the way the HV is brought into the cage and
> filtering / voltage suppression at the point of entry.
> In summary, downunder opinion is that if using a cage then it should
> be grounded to HV ground and on to mains ground. Counterpoise and
> standard TC's need a good RF ground and should not be connected to
> mains unless tiny.
>
> Peter
> http://tesladownunder.com
>
> >Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>
> >
> >I agree that a counterpoise would benefit by a connection through an
RF