From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, October 03, 2006 1:31 PM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Three phase conversion In Rush current Concern.

Original poster: "Leigh Copp" <Leigh.Copp@xxxxxxxxxxx>

No question, the rotary converter concept is bullet proof. The IGBT's in
the drive are rated at 1700V best case, and likely only 1200 or 1400 V.
More obvious is all of the micro processing that runs the thing. If you
were to have an accident with the drive, it could get expensive in a
hurry.

If you just want a bullet proof inrush limiting solution, try a series
reactor like we mentioned early on in this thread.

Yes, the more rotating mass the bigger your "filter" will be. This will
also make it harder to start however. (More inrush). True you could
start them in steps, however it will be more mechanically challenging to
integrate a starting clutch in place of your Lovejoy coupling.

Leigh