Re: secoundary wire size

Original poster: "resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

It will work but the loss of inductance will cause a directly proportional loss of potential. ie,

Vsec  =  -L dI/dt

Calculate inductance for both coil designs and then compare their inductances. If the larger wire produces a 20% reduction in inductance, with the same rate change per unit time of current, then your potential difference will be 20% less. Power and potential are both required to produce large sparks so you really don't want to reduce either for best performance.

My advise --- stick with 28 or 30 AWG wire for a 30 mA coil system. 30 is the best but harder to wind.

Dr. Resonance

Would it be acceptable / OK to use the thicker #24g wire with my 30mA nst? What kind of performance loss are we talking about? I did a sloppy job winding the #28g wire, and I'm planing on re-winding a new pipe with my spool of #24 gauge wire.

Thanks,
      John.