RE: question about driving a DC sync spark gap

Original poster: "Leigh Copp" <Leigh.Copp@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Miles:

Iif you reduce your motor speed too quickly, the back emf from the motor as it coasts down will most certainly be higher than the line voltage from your variac, and can cook your diodes. This will also occur to some degree due to the motor inductance if you turn up the voltage too quickly. A series inductor will exacerbate this effect.

Consider a freewheeling diode across the rectifier output to help with the latter effect.

A 300V rating on your diodes is not a very large safety factor either. You need to be at the very least, twice the peak voltage from your Variac, which will be 169 volts at 120 volts RMS input. Your current rating is huge overkill. Personally, I use 1000V diodes at the very least just to supress 24 volt solenoid coils, because they are cheap and readily available. A 30-40A, 1200V bridge rectifier is usually easy to find.

For example:

http://www.irf.com/product-info/datasheets/data/gbpc2502a.pdf

This part is in stock at Newark and costs $3.31 USD. It is rated at 35A, and 1200V. Not too sure what your motor current is, but at that price, it would be a very cheap experiment. Larger bridges are usually three phase, but you can build one from 100A studs at 1200V if you need to (probably much more expensive however).

BTW: Another suspect in your failures, are the spikes due to the commutator on your DC motor. As the armature rotates and the brushes sweep across the commutator segments, you have some current discontinuities that will ring up your dc supply voltage. It depends on how many poles the armature has, and the overlap on the brushes. In any case, this further emphasizes the need for a higher voltage rating on the diodes. Matt's 400V diodes mentioned below are probably the minimum voltage rating you can get away with, at a 120V line input.

Cheers,

Leigh