Re: Re:High speed Tesla spark photographs - Viewing the spark gap

Original poster: "Peter Terren" <pterren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Viewing the spark gap is certainly one thing I want to do and is fairly easy to do (just aim the camera lower). The thing I was really interested in though was my big capacitor bank firing with say crushing a can. This would tie in nicely with the oscilloscpe pics of the current reversal via a Rogowski coil. I have the concept of a trigger circuit worked out which is essential as every shot has to count. Just the opportunity to use one of my 50kV optoisolators. And the next generation machine? About 5% of my ideas actually get to the point of getting made. You will hear about it if it ever reaches the nuts and bolts stage or should that be strings and mirrors? Much to do with the current setup yet though With your current meter I was wondering not so much about the response of the electronics but of the CT. You don't happen to have a 1 amp 1MHz frequency generator do you - or perhaps 0.1A and 10 turns? Your single sharp spikes seem so out of character with the smooth sine waves otherwise, I wonder if they are a spike induced directly in the circuit. Perhaps test with the CT out of the current path to see if any noise gets through from the main strike.
Peter

Hi Peter,
Have you looked at the spark gap? A fixed or rotary spark gap might look cool! All my coils have silicon spark gaps now so I can't try.
Looking forward to you new machine or whatever too :-))
Cheers,
Terry