Re: grounding question

Hi Gary,

Much of what you say is true. When a streamer strikes earth ground, there is a return current to the base of the coil. This current results in a voltage spike on the RF ground of a certain magnitude with respect to earth ground. The magnitude of the spike may not be well controlled. If an RF choke connects the base of the coil (counterpoise) to the green wire ground, this spike voltage will also appear across the RF choke. Some have observed that the choke breaks down and arcs result across the choke. The choke, unfortunately, is not ideal and a parasitic capacitance appears across the choke. This parasitic could results in a significant portion of the "voltage spike" appearing across the green wire ground (that is also connected to earth ground) and may cause problems with other equipment also connected to the green wire ground. Again this depends on the green wire topology. If the green wire branch is not common with any other equipment, this will certainly help. My thinking is the best way to not have a voltage spike across the green wire is to maximize the impedance between the green wire and RF ground (aka open circuit). Of course, this requires that no one comes in contact with the RF ground during operation.

Gerry R.

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

Hi Gerry:

I'm not clear on why you suggest that when using a choke, any streamers
must connect only with the counterpoise (which IS the RF ground), and
not with some other target not directly connected to the counterpoise,
say a metal shelf.

Both the counterpoise and the shelf may be viewed as separate capacitors
to earth.  Should a streamer hit the shelf, the current flows:
streamer -> shelf -> Cshelf -> earth -> Ccounterpoise -> counterpoise ->
secondarybase.

Since Ccounterpoise is finite and is an imperfect RF ground, there will
be some significant RF voltage across the counterpoise and earth, but I
don't see this as being any different than when using most conventional
RF grounds.

The shelf will also be at some significant RF potential above earth, but
again, this is no different with or without a choke or with a
conventional RF ground.

I believe that adding a choke between a counterpoise (or a conventional
RF ground) and green-wire ground serves only to add safety against the
RF ground becoming "hot" in the 60 Hz sense due to some fault condition.

I agree that if a choke is used, attention must be paid to the voltage
that it can withstand.  But assuming that it's properly designed (TBD!),
I don't see why RF would enter the green-wire, regardless of what the
sparks hit.

John - As with many topics relating to TC construction, there is not yet
a yes/no consensus on this.  So far it's all just talk.  While it seems
like a good idea, I've not heard of anyone actually using such a choke.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA