Re: 10kva pole pig needed with 29kv primary

Original poster: BunnyKiller <bunnikillr@xxxxxxx>

Hey Phil...

you are much better at explaning this type of stuff than I ... but I did try :)
maybe I should have used the word watts or amps or something...  instead of KVA

and for using KV ( which can be misread as KVA ) I believe I will start using 30,000 V as a descriptive factor to keep the confusion level to a minimum. according to the voltmeter I placed on the pig, it was reading a bit over 30,000 V. I also tested the output of the variacs which showed an output voltage of 281 V. The rough calculations I did show this is pretty close to correct as far as input voltage and output voltage on my system.

Scot D

>and for those new to the list..
>the reason Im getting 30+KV out of this setup is because I have the
>variacs wired for 280 vac total output, which gives the piggie that
>extra boost...

Sorry to pick on you, but I still don't see how that gets you 30 kVA from two 10 kVA pigs, unless you are putting the 280 Volts into pig primary windings rated at 193 Volts or less. Or you have such a large TC primary capacitor at such high BPS that you're loading down the pigs. Anyhow, I guess for pigs it's just a matter of ballasting to suck twice the kVA out of them.

-Phil LaBudde