RE: First Time Coiler

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

Hi Dan:

Some of what you have is useful, and some of it is not.

Any of the ignition transformers (we call them OBIT's, for Oil Burner Ignition Transformers) or gaseous tube transformers (we call them NST's, for Neon Sign Transformers) will be good power supplies for a coil. The bigger the transformer, the bigger your sparks will be, so you need to set your goal. It looks like your NST may be a 12kV 60 mA unit, which is a very nice catch! But you should check the faceplate to confirm the voltage and current ratings, and make sure it works (make sure each HV bushing or wire arcs equally to the case) before committing to it. Selecting the power supply should be the first step in designing a coil, and the rest of the components follow once the power supply is chosen.

The Powerstat (Variac) is nice too. If you are able to wire it so it provides 0-140V output rather than 0-120V, your coil will benefit from a modest performance boost, but will work fine in either case.

Unfortunately none of the capacitors you mentioned are useful for a spark gap coil. You don't need any kind of circuit breaker beyond what is already installed in your house. I had written a brief summary of the steps to selecting coil components - please see http://www.laushaus.com/tesla/howtodesign.htm

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA