Re: PFC, Do you advocate them on 14440 1 amp transformers? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 00:41:10 -0600
From: Gerry  Reynolds <gerryreynolds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: PFC, Do you advocate them on 14440 1 amp transformers?

Hi Jim,

Its easy to think of it as backwards until one realizes the reactance of the
capacitor goes down as the capacitance goes up (XC = 1/(2*pi*freq*C).  When
you restate the reactance of Cp for the primary, the reactance needs to be
divided by n^2 (n=turns ratio).  If LTR, the capactive reactance (restated
for the primary) will be smaller than the ballast inductive reactance.
Since net reactance will be XL - XC (series circuit), the inductive
reactance XL wins.

Note what happens to the current limiting ability of the ballast as the LTR
Cp is reduced and approaches resonance.  This will have a great affect on
the current if using a 120 BPS SRSG.  However, the current will not scream
high if using a properly set static spark gap where the output voltage is
limited by the SG since AC steady state can not occur for this case.  I
would need to simulate it to see what happens for a high BPS RSG when
running at resonance.

Gerry R.