RE: Solid State Egg of Columbus Driver - Circuit Review Requested (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 20:25:38 -0700
From: Cameron B. Prince <cplists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: 'Tesla list' <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Solid State Egg of Columbus Driver - Circuit Review Requested (fwd)

Hi Ed,

> 	As for that EDN article, it would certainly work but using square
> wave drive to the amplifier bridges would work better (transistors either
> in saturation or open circuit) with much lower transistor dissipation.  I
> didn't pay attention to the original circuit using flip flops but that
> should be much easier and simpler to build, and can certainly be made to
> work.

Thanks for your reply. I built the circuit from the EDN article and it works
great. You can see it here:

http://www.teslauniverse.com/images/egg_of_columbus/DSC00763.JPG

http://www.teslauniverse.com/images/egg_of_columbus/DSC00765.JPG

As you will see from the waveform, I need to run it through a set of low
pass filters to clean up the sine waves a bit.

I understand what you are saying about the square waves driving the MOSFETs
better, but couldn't the same be achieved by overdriving them with the sine
waves?

I would have much rather the flip flop circuit to have worked, but it
doesn't. I am not educated in logic circuits enough to know why and I have
been unable to find similar circuits or explanation via Google. If you can
enlighten me on how it could be made to work, I'd be happy to try again.

Thanks,
Cameron