Re: Spark Gap Behavior (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 22:41:55 -0600
From: S&JY <youngsters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Spark Gap Behavior (fwd)

Greg,

Regarding Bert's reference to negative resistance of the arc, search the web
for "Poulsen Arc Transmitter".  Before vacuum tubes came into widespread
use, a powerful DC arc from a carbon electrode to a water cooled metal
electrode in a hydrogen atmosphere and in a very strong magnetic field was
used for low frequency radio transmitters (power oscillators), made possible
by the negative resistance characteristic of the arc.  The really big ones
could generate 10s to 100s of KW.  As you can imagine, they were very
inefficient, and one had to be careful with the hydrogen filled chamber to
avoid an explosion.  A few years ago, an adventuresome experimenter built
one to drive a small Tesla Coil.  Very interesting reading, but I know of no
modern application.
--Steve

________