Re: KVA Effects former Hipotronics pulse caps

Original poster: "resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

The replacement cap for these is a Maxwell 0.1 uF 50 kV pulse cap. Not cheap at nearly $900 each. Sometimes I do a bulk buy on these and get better pricing if I order 10 pcs or more.

Dr. Resonance

I have a question that I was hoping someone may be
able to help me with and maybe Jeff Parisse can address
it more directly. I purchase a couple of .1 uFd, 50 kV
Hipotronics pulse caps directly from Jeff a couple of years
ago, I believe, because Jeff was changing capacitor suppliers
and was no longer going to be using these particular caps,
so he sold the last 2 he had left to me. Anyway, I am now using
one of them in my "Green Monster": <http://www.teslauniverse.com/members/drieben/>http://www.teslauniverse.com/members/drieben/
(it can be sen on the second picture down and in various
other shots of the primary circuit) and Cameron Prince
finally talked me into selling him my other one for his
coil: <http://www.teslauniverse.com/members/cprince/index.html>http://www.teslauniverse.com/members/cprince/index.html
and his cap can also be seen under the "secondary/base as-
sembly" as well as under the "system components" paragraph
photos. I (and I think I can safely speak for Cameron, too)
have found this particular capacitor to be built like "Ft. Knox"
and it shows VERY LITTLE signs of dielectric stress and/or
heating even after very lengthy runs at ~350 bps at >15 kVA
from a 14.4 kV pole pig. I have never been able to locate any
more of these particular caps to serve as spares just in case of
the unlikely event that "Ft. Knox's" walls ever become "breached". ;^O
I'm pretty sure that Jeff told me that Hipotronics custom built them
just for KVA Effects and that would probably pretty much elevate
their cost beyond the hobby level budget but it would be nice to
find a source for them in case there were any additional surplus
units still floating around out there somewhere. Also, neither one
of the caps had a nomenclature tag or label on it, so all I know
about their specs was the .1 uFd, 50 kV that Jeff told me. A
capacitance meter check showed both of them to be right at the
stated .1 uFd and, as I said before, they don't even break a sweat
from the brutal punishment that both Cameron and I have subjected
them to, so I have no reason to believe that the 50 kV rating is an
exaggeration either although I have no idea what their RMS or peak
current rating is, since that was never discussed with Jeff. Obviously,
these ratings must be pretty substantial as well, though. Anyway,
if anyone could point me toward a source of some more of these
particular type of Hipotronics pulse caps, I would be most grateful.

Thanks,
David