Re: Toriod ? Bendaway_Plus, stainless, titanium stabilized

Hi Jim,

I'm sure that some of those products would work fine
for making a big toroid except for maybe the Flex-Lok
ET. The Bendaway S looks like it could make an excel-
lent durable toroid but you'd also have to consider factors
such as bend radius, weight, and cost with this. You would
need a minimum of 15 linear feet to make a 54" major diame-
ter toroid. Remember that if your toroid is 12"x 54", then
the inner diameter is 30", which would require a bend radius
of <15". Often the rigid  12" dia. stuff dosen't have a bend
radius nearly low enough to allow the tubing to be formed into
a torus that "small". I used a single section of the "Super-Flex-
ble Extend-and-Compress Aluminum Duct Hose" 12" ID in
the 30 ft length (part # - 5525K49 on page 193) from Mc-
Master-Carr on their website (mcmastercarr.com) to make
my 12" x 56" toroid for my Green Monster coil:
http://www.teslauniverse.com/members/drieben/
Scroll down to the last picture at the bottom of the page
with my son and I standing next to it for a size comparison.
The "30 ft." length comes compressed to about 4 ft., I believe,
and is stiffer, heavier, and more dent resistant than the plain
"Flex-Lok" aluminum duct hose. I also wrapped the finished
toroid completely in aluminum duct tape to help somewhat
increase the dent resistance. The toroid is reasonably light
and had to be designed to easily remove and replace since
the coil assembly is too tall to go under the overhead door
entrance to my garage with the toroid in place. I have
< $150US in this toroid assembly ;^)

David Rieben