Re: Questions??

Hi,

At 08:42 PM 9/3/2006, you wrote:
The first thing that everyone should know is that I am a junior in highschool. I ran across the tesla a few years ago and have been obsessed ever since. Unfortunatly 75% of all the money I make goes into collage savings leaving me with not alot to buy parts and such. I really appreciate that people like you are around and are willing to help me. MANY THANKS

*The paper that i am refering to i downloaded somewhere online along time ago but since is says information unlimited on teh top i am assuming it origionaly came from here <http://www.amazing1.com/tesla.htm>http://www.amazing1.com/tesla.htm
I am also assuming that it is the
Easy to build  table top tesla coil 250,000 volts one
Since it also says that on the papers

Cool! They have been selling those plans "forever". I am not specifically familiar with this one but it gives me a good idea what is up with it. if you search below for "btc3" some info comes up:

http://www.pupman.com/htsearch.html

*The transformer I am using was bought off ebay for about 20$   It is a
 6000v 30ma Neon Sign Transformer
someone I was talking to said that it might be centertapped or something and that it could be the problem

Many (most) are center tapped but that should not matter. A nice LTR cap size would be 21nF (20.8333..).

* dimensions of secondary + number of turns, winding length, and wire
size
 10 inches tall
1 3/4 inches wide
#26 magnet wire
i have no idea what the length is

#26 wire winds about 58 turns per inch so that is 580 turns. The inductance is probably near 2.4mH.

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/FormulasForTeslaCoils.pdf

The coil probably tunes in the 980kHz range with the size top load they show. This online JAVA program is very nice.

http://www.classictesla.com/java/javatc.html

I bought the wire at radio shack and had to use 2 small spools to complete it the wires were sanded and were put together but at some point i thought that this was the problem and seperated them. then moved my secondary up about half way. this made a huge (the term huge means that i got an arc out of the magnet wire with out the top load about 3/4 of a cm)

* dimensions of primary, number of turns, what sort of wire or
conductor used

I was using #12 wire at 8 turns with 6 inch diameter
but when that did not work i took thick magnet wire and wraped it around electrical tape on the secondary about 24 times. This seemed to work better
(i got a small arc instead a a spark)

* number and type of capacitors and how connected - series?  parallel?
20
6000v .015mdf
Sprague
in series

That's a big problem!!! The capacitance is then 15nF / 20 = 750pF. You really want three strings with two of those caps in series. Or 2 long by 3 wide. The capacitance is then 15nF x 3 / 2 = 22.5nF. Use about a three inch diameter primary and it should tune very roughly guessing at 2.7 turns.

So right now your capacitance is 0.75nF and you want it to be about 22.5nF or 30 times more!!! that would completely explain way the sparks so far are so small.

At some point i took some glass and 2 4in squares of tin foil and tried that (it worked better but in practical terms not a big change at all)

* type of spark gap and how constructed
2 bolts mounted in lexan or something with a large computer cooling fan sucking are through it the bolts are about .08 mm from each other (which is as far apart as they will go while still allowing a jump)

That is fine.

At some point i made a small rotary gap to see it it would work using a cd and small wires bend over it and then taped. Then i used brushes to make direct contact with them. This seemed to work alot better and was more consistant than the other gap so I have used it ever since.

Best to get the above working first.

* nature and dimensions of top terminal.
2 small pie tins welded together
about 4 inches in diameter 3 inches tall

Cool

*Some pictures of the parts and complete set-up wouldn't hurt either.
I dont have a digital camera or anything. But school starts soon so i could ask to borrow one. If you could see it now you would say wow what a piece of junk. I wanted to test it before i made it all nice and such but it is the way it is so i never made it look nice

Not a problem. The primary cap value is the problem. this is a small high frequency coil which is fine but your 20 caps in series has a very low value. You need to use far fewer in series (two to get to a comfortable 12000) and then put a few of those strings together in parallel to get the value in the 20 - 25nF range..

If all is working, you will get a nice sparks then ;-)))

Cheers,

        Terry