Re: A search for a better primary

Hi Jim,

Sounds like you have great performance with your 15K/120ma static gap setup. My 8 inch coil is running with the same power source but with a SRSG. I think the trick to increasing coupling without racing arcs is to not couple as much into the lower turns by increasing the clearance between the inner turn of the primary and the secondary. You seem to experiencing the same benifit with your 2 inch clearance. Maybe you can even raise the primary (or lower the secondary) somewhat.

Gerry R

Hi Gerry,

My 8" 35.5" was one inch above a 15 degree 1/4" primary tapped near 15. Cap
was 1.5 ltr. I was running a RQ heavily blown gap that roared healthily when
it was up to voltage. The top hat was a 32"x8" with a 4"x12" lower dryer
duck siliconed to the big toriod which added much strength and additional
shielding. It was powered by two Transco 15/60 HP with a Terry filter and
safeties all carefully adjusted with HV - tuned with a freq gen, scope, and
freq counter. I always cranked it to 140v+ and the sparks did fly. It would
consistently strike a 6 foot target; and, without a breakout or target
flared chaotically outward, impressive, and very loud.

My point is I used a 2" arc space (12" first turn) clearance and never had a
racing arc yet K was well in good range.

Jim Mora

 P.S.

Not many agree, but I believe the larger primary couples and rings higher
into the secondary coil reducing the very high currents at the base and
eases the quench which most agree on.

In the interim (until the 12" is finished), I'm going to use this coil with
my pig and a 1/2" flat primary with as much arc space I can get and still
have a reasonable k factor. While being aware that I'll be near resonance
charging, as you pointed out - THANKS, I therefore will keep the break rates
>200 to prevent over-volting my new, tedious MMC. Having said that, I have >a
couple of construction easing ideas to share latter.