RE: Egg of Columbus

Original poster: "Cameron B. Prince" <cplists@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Gomez,

I don't think this is off topic at all... This is a Tesla list and it was a
Tesla invention. That being said, I, like you, have questions about the
construction.

The versions I saw at the museum and memorial both appeared to have large
toroidal cores. The one at the museum was smaller, but it appeared to use
the same core that is found in the Superior Electric 1156 and 1256 variacs.

It was unclear if the core was split and I also don't understand the
windings as there were four connections. I also don't know if there is some
sort of driver circuit or if it is simply powered by straight AC.

If anyone out there could help us both, I'm sure it would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
Cameron