Re: Egg of Columbus

Original poster: Gomez Addams <gomezaddams@xxxxxxxxx>

I realize this is a wee bit off-topic for the list, but if someone
who understands the question thoroughly would reply to me off-list,
I've very much appreciate it.

I'm curious about the "Egg of Columbus".  If the windings are on a
toroidal form, wouldn't most of the magnetic field be enclosed?  Does
the thing work solely on "leaking" magnetic field?  And if so, isn't
that awfully inefficient?  What am I missing?

- Bill "Gomez" Lemieux"

All depends on how the coils are connected. For example, two coils on opposite sides of the core will either produce flux passing through the core if the windings are connected in series "aiding" [in effect, just making one complete winding all turns in same direction] or "opposing", in which case the flux will end up in air. Just the same principle used in magnetic-deflection CRT deflection yokes. As I recall, some of the Tesla literature (Martin?) discusses that with good illustrations and words by Dr. T himself.

Ed