Re: Egg of Columbus

Original poster: Daniel Kline <daniel_kline@xxxxxxxxxxx>

It's not a toroidal winding. It's four separate polyphase windings.

...on a toroidal form.
Right?
I knew it was multiphase, didn't realize it used four phases though!
I assume it's possible to build one which uses only three.  I'd love
to build one, but I'd have to synthesize the multiphase power.  If it
can be done with only two phases and windings, it gets lots easier-
just add a capacitor, like a squirrel cage motor!

- G.

Is it weird in here, or is it just me?"

Not weird at all. Consider this: Take a ring of magnetic material and wind one coil on the left side, with wire going clockwise around it. Wind a second one on the other side with wire going CCW. Hook the wires coming from the top of the coils together and hook the wires coming from the bottom together and feed current into the parallel combination. No net flux "runs around " the core but there will be a net magnetic field from top to botton. Wind another set of two turns on top and bottom and connect together; they will form a magnetic field which is oriented horizontally across the core. Draw a picture and you'll see what I mean. Now excite the two pairs of windings with voltages 90° out of phase (in other words, a two-phase system) and you'll have a rotating field as viewed from the axis of the core. Put a conducting object at the center and eddy currents will be induced which can cause it to rotate. I'm pretty sure this is what Tesla described.
It's also possible to use three windings and three-phase excitation.
Obviously you can wind all coils in the same direction and reverse connections to the leads but I think the description above is simpler.

Ed