Re: Machining an Egg

Original poster: "Mike" <mike.marcum@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

afaik pre-1981 pennies are solid copper. I actually save em every time I get change to make ingots (or maybe eggs lol) when the price rises enough (or the energy cost falls enough) to actually make it worth the effort. Pure copper is not easy to melt w/o oxidizing it by the common Joe with a newfound use for the bbq after using it for melting nst tar.

Mike
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, September 17, 2006 7:02 PM
Subject: Re: Machining an Egg

At 11:09 AM 9/17/2006, Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: "Dave" <dgoodfellow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Perhaps you could make a mold from an egg, get a few rolls of pennies,

Pennies are made of copper coated zinc these days. Copper is MUCH too expensive to use in mere money.

I estimate that it takes about 190 pennies to make a pound, and, at today's price of $3.50/lb for copper, solid copper pennies would be worth enough for their copper value to make it worth melting them down.

But here's the question.. does your egg have to be conductive or magnetic? Why not aluminum, which is still cheap, also easy to machine or cast.