RE: Machining an Egg

Original poster: "Cameron B. Prince" <cplists@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hey guys,

I've put together some video clips and pictures of the two versions of the
Egg of Columbus I've seen which you can view at the links below. The links
are long and may have to be pasted back together.

I haven't been able to extract the section of my video from the museum yet
so the video below is from "The Genius Who Lit The World" documentary. It is
important to note that the museum guide had this to say to me about the egg:

"The material of this egg is of brass. Something that is not attracted to
the magnet, but it's a very good conductor and that is the reason why we
have that rotation on the end."

He also stated that the egg had been in use for 50 years and pointed out how
worn it was. I have to believe that this egg was solid brass due to his
comments about not being attracted to the magnetic field as well as the
weight of the egg in my hand.

The memorial egg was enclosed in a glass case, but was huge in comparison
and operated much smoother. As you will see in the video, it stays almost
perfectly centered on the platter. This egg was so large I think it's
possible that it was hollow.

Tesla Museum:

http://www.teslauniverse.com/members/cprince/images/egg_of_columbus/Museum%2
0Egg.mpg