RE: Three phase conversion In Rush current Concern.

Original poster: "Leigh Copp" <Leigh.Copp@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Jim,

Depending on your budget, a 3 phase variable speed drive (there is a 50
HP unit on e-bay right now for $330 for example) would not only allow
you to control start up, but it would create true 3 phase from single
phase. Most of the drives out there use a static rectifier (diode, not
SCR or transistor) and will run on single phase provided that you
de-rate them accordingly (50% is typical).

Otherwise, a pair of TRIACs slowly ramped up would be effective as a
soft start.

Simpler, but more expensive would be a tapped autotransformer or
reactor, or even a resistor bank, stepped out with contactors on a time
delay or current basis. All of this was the norm for starting large
motors 30+ years ago, and is still in use today in many cases.

You may find starting a bit troublesome (although you won't require much
starting torque) with reduced voltage techniques however, given that you
are faking your 3 phase with capacitors.

Cheers,

Leigh