Re: Jacobsladder-Oscillator

Original poster: Shaun Epp <scepp@xxxxxxx>

Ok.... I'll ask. What is an Andiruptor ? How does it work ? Can you translate into English ? I've looked at your diagrams, but no full schematic. Obviously it's variable frequency oscillator. What about duty cycle? What are the other inputs for ? I see you are feeding the IGBT with variable DC power, That must be quiet the power supply.

Shaun Epp

To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2007 11:34 PM
Subject: Re: Jacobsladder-Oscillator

Original poster: "Kurt Schraner" <k.schraner@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Gerry,

I've posted about "the Andiruptor" on the TCML on Jan 27th, but it seems not having triggered the curiosity of the list members. I consider it belonging to the "original work" type stuff, which Peter Terren was contrasting to the long treads on i.e. "plastic cup capacitors". Please see in the archives:

http://www.pupman.com/listarchives/2007/Jan/msg00796.html

or directly on my newer website:

http://twfpowerelectronics.com/%7Ekurt/InductionCoils/induction_coils2.html

my other comments interspersed...

Tesla list wrote:

Hi Kurt,

My thinking on this was that the electrostatic force between the two
JL rods is always attractive (discounting zero crossing).  The rods
seem to have a natural resonance of around 1 Hz.  With a sudden
application of power, the attraction is like a unit step function
that will induce a natural response.

Agreed!

I'm not sure what you are really
getting at with the term "eigenresonant frequency".  I think there is
only one resonate frequency of the rods and I'm having a hard time
understanding how eigen values come into play.  But maybe so.  I need
to think about this more.  In any case, the major response of the
rods was the fundamental at 1 Hz.

Sorry, probably just _my_ language problem (German-->English). May be I should just have written "resonant frequency" or "mechanical, fundamental resonant frequency".

I'm not sure what an Andiruptor is so maybe I dont understand the
setup.  I was thinking of a variac driving a PIG driving the JL.

Gerry R.
<snip>

Cheers,
       Kurt