Re: is this the correct piggy?

Original poster: "J. Aaron Holmes" <jaholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Original poster: "David Rieben"
>
>  > Original poster: "J. Aaron Holmes"
> <jaholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  >
>  > All that said, a number of folks (I remember
>  > specifically Aron and Justin of hvguy.com) have
>  > over-volted their 7.2kV pigs, i.e., by putting
> 240V
>  > across the 120V lugs.  This will make your 7.2kV
> pig
>  > put out 14.4kV, however it will do so only with
> great
>  > risk to your pig's health.
>
> Also,
> when the primary windings of a transformer are
> overdriven
> above their designed voltage rating to that extreme,
> the output
> voltage of the secondary does not continue to
> increase in a linear
> proportion to the primary's input once the core
> begins to
> saturate. This will occur in most transformers when
> the input
> voltage exceeds about 140% of the designed voltage
> rating.
> With MOTs, which are made with as little iron in the
> core
> as possible to hold down the weight and the cost,
> you'd better
> make that about 105%! Once the core begins to
> saturate, any
> further increase in input voltage will cause the
> unloaded current draw
> to increase dramatically, almost in a "J" curve, but
> the output voltage
> of the secondary will no longer continue to increase
> in proportion to
> the increase of the input voltage. Operating in this
> fashion makes for
> an unhappy transformer ;^(
>
> David

Hey, David!  So, what you're saying is that it's tied
to core saturation, then?  Or am I misunderstanding?
But isn't core saturation more a function of power
throughput in an AC transformer?  Will simply
increasing the voltage lead to saturation, or wouldn't
you also have to load the transformer down beyond its
rated power throughput?  I thought the latter was the
case, but my mental model of a transformer is
over-simplified, I'm sure!

Regards,
Aaron, N7OE