Re: Homemade Caps are a Health Risk?

Original poster: Yurtle Turtle <yurtle_t@xxxxxxxxx>

Unless someone actually buys some Hach AcuVacs and
takes readings, we're all just speculating.

http://www.hach.com/hc/search.product.details.invoker/PackagingCode=2517050/NewLinkLabel=Ozone+AccuVac%AE+Kit,+Color+Disc,+0.02-0.80+mg&frasl%3BL,+25+tests

These are the ones we use at work.

Interestingly enough, industrial ozone generators (not
the small "toy" UV style generators) use dielectric
tubes which resemble beer bottle caps, or lyden jars.
The fist facility I built used glass dielectric tubes,
which had a thin layer of SS metal on the inside,
which was connected to a wire brush. Outside, they
were surrounded with a SS metal sleeve. The diameter
was around 4". Just like beer bottle caps, we would
occasionally puncture one. We now use ceramic
dielectric tubes in all of our newer units. It seems
to hold up much better.

http://www.ozonia.com/ozone/engineered.html

However, in order to make ozone as efficiently as we
can, we start with LOX, evaporate it to gasseous
oxygen, add a taste of N2, then use DC which is
carefully monitored to keep it at the corona inception
state. Too much and you'll gat a flashover, which
kills ozone production.

Our ozone destruct units are just fancy catalytic type
heaters.

Long story short, ozone likes to be produced via
corona, and ozone hates heat. Beer bottle caps "seem"
to fit the bill as a good ozone generator, since they
"shouldn't" be generating any arcs, and most beer
bottle caps I've build and run have all exhibited that
corona glow.

I've heard many folks mention that they seem to smell
more ozone from smaller coils than from larger ones.
This makes sense, as larger coils may have hotter
arcs, which destroys the ozone. However, unless
someone wants to buy some Hach Acuvacs and actually
test the ozone output, everyone's just guessing. NOx
is generated alaong with ozone, and has many of the
same physical side effects. In fact, NOx is converted
into ground level ozone through the UV from the sun.

Adam

The fish are biting.