Quick questions about PFC calculations

Original poster: Mike <megavolts61@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi all,
I've never worried about power factor correction in a NST powered coil, but I got this great lil 9/30 (Thanks again Hal) and thought it might be cool to run it from my car via a 400W inverter that I have. I know the inverter would not like an inductive load. The instruction said I should probably run a resistive load at the same time if it acted up, but I would think power factor correction would be the way to go. My question is: Did I calculate this cap correctly? First I get 270VA/120V = 2.25 A, then dividing 120 by 2.25 and get 53.333 ohms. Now measure the resistance across the primary I got 2.2 ohm so I assumed the impedance due to the inductance is 51.1 ohm...the difference between the calculated and measured. Then using XL - Xc = 1/(2*pi*60*51.1) I got 49.7 uF. Am I on track here? I am assuming the cap would go parallel to the input, but please correct me if I am mistaken here(thinking anti rsonant LC circuit).
Thanks,
Mike

It's here! Your new message!
Get <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=49938/*http://tools.search.yahoo.com/toolbar/features/mail/>new email alerts with the free <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=49938/*http://tools.search.yahoo.com/toolbar/features/mail/>Yahoo! Toolbar.