Re: Tesla coil on Ebay; 80-300' lightning?

Original poster: Mike <megavolts61@xxxxxxxxx>

I'd love to see that coil in operation. With only about 4 primary turns, you are right...must be one huge capacitor. Then again, it's impossible to tell the secondary wire size, so no educated guess can be made on that. The guy might could have made his warning a little stronger, but he did say that it is not a toy and well, his reserve price is probably in the neighborhood of the buy it now price, so someone who buys it better have as much brains as money. The EMP detector setting off should be another 'warning' of sorts. Whatever the case, the guy has a 99.8% good rating from over 500 people he's dealt with. Perhaps one should not judge him too harshly.
Mike

Original poster: "M G" <gt4awd@xxxxxxxxx>

Sometimes I check ebay "Tesla coil" to see if there is anything new
that I would like to get. While searching I run into an auction where
a coil is being sold for just about $15,000. The description says
that it can create verticle streamers 80-300' straight up in the air.
Looking at the coil you can see the primary does not have that many
turns, and considering the secondary is so large, the capacitor must
be huge. I have my doubts that this coil can create streamers that
long using only 220volts at 30amps. It also seems that this coil is
being sold to anyone willing to pay the high price, regardless of
electrical knowledge, which is a bad idea in my opinion. Here is a
quote of the entire description.

<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=49981/*http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/mailbeta/features_spam.html>Sucker-punch spam with award-winning protection. Try the <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=49981/*http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/mailbeta/features_spam.html>free Yahoo! Mail Beta.