RE: spark gap construction

Original poster: Mike <megavolts61@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi Matthew,
I don't recall that Tesla used electromagnets for quenching. I do remember his mentioning magnetic quenching, but I don't know if they were permanent magnets or electromagnets. I would think electromagnets would be harder to deal with. I do remember that he insulated the magnets from the gap with mica.
Mike

Original poster: "Matthew Boddicker" <shmerpleton_town@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Has anyone ever used electromagnets on the spark gap in order to
remove the spark? Logically, if the discharging spark gap creates a
plasma, and a plasma are charged particles in motion, shouldn't the
magnetic fields of nearby electromagnets have an effect? The idea
comes from a book on Tesla that had one of his presentations in it.
Tesla mentions that he had two electromagnets arranged closely and
perpendicular to the spark gap.

Thanks,
Matthew Boddicker

Be a PS3 game guru.