Re: contact spark gap VSVFSQ

Original poster: gary350@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I posted this about 6 or 7 years ago here goes again. Build yourself a VSVFSQ, Variable Speed Vaccuum Fan Spark Gap it works just as well as a rotory spark gap and it is much easier to build and costs less. I built my first rotor many years ago rotated the motor to sink the gap got is adjusted for max output and it was working great. Later I built a VSVFSQ and found it worked just as well as the rotor. I posted the info here and Rickard Hull once said a rotor is just a fancy toy a well tuned spark gap works just a well. The VSVFSQ can be used on any size TC from 400 watts to 15KW. It is nothing but an RQ gap with a vaccuum fan and a variac. The cool thing about the VSVFSQ is you can turn the variac and watch the streamers get longer and shorter as you make adjustments. A streamer can increase in length by 30% just by changing the fan speed. The attached link shows my first VSVFSQ. I have several of these I later discovered the air slots in the side are not needed. It actually works fine just to let the fan suck air in the end of the 4" PVC pipe and over the gaps. Get you a $2.00 vaccuum cleaner at a yard sale or salvation army store remove the fan motor and build one. As I recall I bought 6 fans from H&H for $10.00 each about 7 years ago.

http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e358/gary350/?action=view&current=gap-1.jpg

http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e358/gary350/?action=view&current=gap-2.jpg