From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: micro magnifier
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 20:25:00 -0600

Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 4/14/07 2:01:10 AM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

Original poster: "Scott Bogard" <teslas-intern@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hey everybody.
   Ok, I don't really know, exactly, how a magnifier coil works,
but I think it acts like a normal TC (with oober coupling) and drives
the "free resonator" at it's resonant frequency, kind of neglecting
the resonance of the primary and secondary, so they act mostly like a
standard transformer.

Scott,

It's often thought that a magnifier works that way, but it really
doesn't.  Instead the coil has to be tuned to the combined
L and C of both the secondary and the resonator.  In other
words the primary tank has to be tuned to a lower frequency
than the resonator alone.  The secondary inductance and
capacitance figures into the tuning also.  Also, the coupling
of a magnifier is really about the same as a classic TC.
This is because the coupling has to be considered to
include both the secondary and the resonator.  There's
a formula to calculate this which was originally given to
me by Antonio De Queiroz.

John

See what's free at http://www.aol.com.

Match.com - Click Here To Find Singles In Your Area Today! http://msnuk.match.com/