Re: Wire size ratio

Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx In a message dated 4/17/07 3:14:48 AM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

Is there a ratio or something of the sort describing the wire size on
the secondary and what it should be with different power inputs?  or
just the size of the seconday form  maybe?

The wire size should be such that you obtain 1000 to 1500
turns of wire on the secondary for a spark gap coil.

The secondary size should be a reasonable
size for the input power.  As an example, I use a 4" x 19"
secondary (wound with 28awg wire) on my TT-42 TC which
uses about 800 watts input.  Sparks are 42" long maximum.
Generally if you use 4 times the power, then the secondary
should be twice as tall, and twice as wide in diameter.
Just a rule of thumb there.  Nothing set in stone.  A range
of sizes can work OK within some range of reasonableness.
If the secondary is too small for the power input and
especially for the spark length, then there's a danger of
voltage breakdown of the secondary, and primary strikes.
There's more to the story than this..... but this is a
beginning.

John

See what's free at http://www.aol.com.