Re: Colorado Springs

Original poster: Davetracer@xxxxxxx In a message dated 4/15/2007 7:55:43 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 4/15/07 2:14:11 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

Anthony, David,

Robert Golka built a reproduction of Tesla's colorado magnifier
TC back around 1980.  It was more powerful than Tesla's
original coil.  It was very close to Tesla's original design
with the ~ 50 foot primary, large diameter secondary, central
extra coil, etc.

Tesla's colorado coil was large, but really wasn't that powerful.
It's longest sparks were about 33 feet or so.  Some of today's
coils such as Bill Wysock's large magnifier, and Greg Leyh's
Electrum TC are actually more powerful than Tesla's
colorado springs coil.

John

Is my memory faulty (always a possibility), or did I not read that Tesla's Colorado Springs coil went to 40 *meters* in spark length (not 40 *feet*) the night he also burned up the C. Springs town generator?

For example, in "Tesla" (Cheney & Uth, Barnes & Noble, 1999), pp.89, "Bolts of man-made lightning more than a hundred feet in length shot out from the mast atop the station. The commotion could be heard in the mining town of Cripple Creek, fifteen miles away." I've read many other accounts of this event.

I was born and raised here in Denver; my ex was from Colorado Springs; I've been to C - Springs to take photos of the various different placards put up at Tesla's work site, and all over Colorado, so believe me, it's a bit of a drive up to Cripple Creek.

Page 91 of "Tesla" has an interesting photograph. There are three brightly glowing light bulbs between two volt?meters in an otherwise unremarkable weedy field with some snow. Two visible wires lead off to the right and left, laid on the ground. I'll type in what it says verbatim.

"Caption in Century Magazine, June 1900, reads: "The photograph shows three ordinary incandescent lamps lighted to full candle-power by currents induced in a local loop consisting of a single wire forming a square of fifty feet each side, which includes the lamps, and which is at a distance of one hundred feet from the primary circuit energized by the oscillator."

What I wanted to point your attention to is the square geometry of the antenna and its dimensions.

I am not a antenna theory expert. But does this working example tell you anything that is useful?

    -- thanks,

    Dave Small

See what's free at <http://www.aol.com?ncid=AOLAOF00020000000503>AOL.com.