Re: streamer output - toroids vs. spheres

Excellent observation Miles!

You described the sphere phenomenon perfectly. You'll see the spiral sword spark at the top of the sphere. The reason for the single spark is sphere size (radius of curvature). Toroids can also do the same if they are smooth and large enough. But, they will never exhibit the sword spiral as a sphere can do. Your also correct that sphere's are hard to get right.

There's a reason the sphere can do this. It's similar to a jacobs ladder spark moving up the ladder. Thermal influence. A toroid pretty much says "ok, breakout and go to whatever it can find" and a sphere says "ok, breakout and do the same, but now there is vertical area and that area just happens to allow the spark to follow thermal heating which maximizes at the top of the sphere as the spark follows it's course". It's the spark channel that causes the heat in the first place. It is simply following the path and must end it's path at the top of the sphere. Note how the spark channel follows the turbulence at the top making the spark appear to spiral on it's way out.

Take care,
Bart

PS: now light a little candle on top of the sphere and run the coil!

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: mileswaldron@xxxxxxxxxxx

It seems that everyone is using toroids as toploads these days. I admit tuning a coil with a toroid is much easier than tuning a coil with a sphere; however, there is one remarcable difference in streamer output that I have noticed. This type of streamer output is so *AMAZING* that I don't like toroids, and prefer spheres.

What I see happen with a tuned in sphere, with careful and painful adjustments, is that I can get exactly 1 streamer rolling around the top of the ball. The streamer will eventually settle itself down on the top of the ball and start "reaching" upwards. The end of the streamer licks and curls around in a shape that I cannot describe, going inside itself in fractal looking loops. It will stand there doing this for quite some time. It is a beautiful site to see. My 3" diameter coil can project a 42" streamer upwards using a single 12-60 NST.

This is a simple observation about topload shape that I hope will foster some interesting commentary.

Miles