Max Indutance of a Solenoid

Hi All,

After looking at Gary's coil data from 7 years ago, Mike asked offline to look at max inductance of a solenoid coil. Sounded interesting so I did. If you have been on the list long enough, you've likely heard max inductance h/d ratios. The most commonly stated is maxL is when H=0.9R or H=0.45D. I ran some numbers to look at that. BTW, for those particular max inductance statements, a fixed wire length and a fixed wire pitch must be maintained.

Here is a pdf of the data I ran:
http://www.classictesla.com/download/max_L_table.pdf

The first table is a solenoid coil where the wire length is maintained and the wire pitch is maintained. This requires the radius and height to be varied as h/d is incremented (and in my table, by 0.05 increments). What was found is that at low frequency (Ldc), H=0.45D is relatively true, but only for low frequency inductance. This has no bearing on a resonant transformer. At the resonant frequency of the transformer, Les is realized by the transformer. Les is the lumped value for the inductance at the transformers resonant frequency. It is easiest to view it as the "resonant frequency inductance". At high frequencies, the current is not distributed evenly along the coils length. The change in current within the windings causes the inductance. Because high frequencies cause different currents in one portion of the winding versus another portion of the winding, the total inductance at high frequency is different than the total inductance at low frequency.

In both cases of Ldc or Les, the actual geometry is ridiculous for a classic tesla coil application, but may be good for some other application. Just thought I'd share the table with the list.

The 2nd table shows what would occur if the wire length was fixed yet the pitch was allowed to increase with h/d. In this case, max inductance had an h/d of 2.5. Easier to look at with data than to actually build.

Take care,
Bart