Re: Tesla the man

Original poster: William Beaty <billb@xxxxxxxxxx>

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: ashumate3@xxxxxxx
> As for his death ray, the present day laser fits his description of
> the ray.

Nope.  The plans were published decades ago, and his "death ray" was a
sort of water jet cutter but using liquid metal micro-droplets, fired by a
multi-megavolt linear accelerator powered by a huge VandeGraaff generator.
Yet water jet devices only make an effective weapon over a scale of
inches!  But the physics of charged particle streams in gas environment is
different than that of fluid jets. Perhaps a stream of charged droplets
would go farther in air, if the charge density was high enough.

> The goal for the coils that are being built should be trying the
> recreate what Tesla was doing in terms of power transmission.

Exactly.  Unfortunately, this topic is semi-banned on pupman.  By
"semi-banned," I mean that it is tolerated only, and can be shut down at
any time.  As a result, no amateur science types would even think of using
this forum for a research discussion.  In academia, censorship is a high
crime.  Completely unforgivable.  It's also a prime symptom of the
pseudoscientist.  Pseudoscientists cannot tolerate information which
points out the flaws in their rigid belief systems.  Professional
scientists on the other hand welcome "blasphemies," since they *want* to
find such flaws, and that's one reason why they find the "suppression of
dissenting opinion" to be so abhorrant.

What we really need is a "Tesla science" forum for those interested in
genuine research.  Perhaps one with zero-tolerance rules against
flamewars, but with the usual attitude of the professional scientist:
freedom of expression; no limits on topics whatsoever.

  "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your
  right to say it"

  "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which
  cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--  that principle is
  contempt prior to investigation."  - H. Spencer

  "It is as fatal as it is cowardly to blink facts because they are not
  to our taste."   - John Tyndall

   "I can't see any farther.  Giants are standing on my shoulders!"
                                                       - unknown

Also:

 "If you haven't found something strange during the day, it hasn't been
  much of a day."   - J. A. Wheeler

William J. Beaty                            SCIENCE HOBBYIST website
billb at amasci com                         http://amasci.com
EE/programmer/sci-exhibits   amateur science, hobby projects, sci fair
Seattle, WA  425-222-5066    unusual phenomena, tesla coils, weird sci