Re: Looking for an 18KV distribution arrester

Original poster: "J. Aaron Holmes" <jaholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hey there, Hal.

These do come up periodically on eBay.  I've got an
inexhaustible supply of 21kV ceramics.  The size
varies, but they're usually in the neighborhood of
6-7" wide and 18-24" tall, weighing about 80 or so
pounds each ;-)  I've also got a dozen or so 3kV
ceramics the size of soda cans.  These latter ones are
brand new in boxes with mounting hardware.  Could
always send you six of those :-D  The 21kV ones are
used, but I'm told they're ok; I get them from the
local utility for about $10 each when they tear down
old poles.  21kV ought to be perfect for a 14.x kV
pig.

At some point this summer, I have to drive from
Seattle down to Tucson.  The exact dates haven't been
established yet, but if your need isn't especially
urgent, I'd be happy to bring along a couple of the
big, bad 21kV ones and just give 'em to you.  My
garage is simply overflowing with this stuff.  I
probably couldn't be bothered to ship one, as it would
have to go freight.

There is a certain "coolness" to the idea of using one
of these in place of a safety gap, however you do lose
the advantage of being able to see your saftey device
operating.  When one of these things goes into
conduction, your performance will just disappear and
it may not be immediately apparent why.  Many of the
larger ones use a combination of MOV discs and small
air gaps, so you may hear a very faint arcing from
inside...

Regards,
Aaron, N7OE