Re: Semi-OT: Plasma globes - type of glass?

Original poster: "Thomas Coyle" <zxcasd@xxxxxxxxx>

Thanks, Mark - I was thinking it would most likely be boro. As for the
fix, I got such a good deal on it that I'll probably try to fix it
myself - I understand the risks and dangers, but I'm in this for the
fun and experience - if I wanted to pay someone to do it, I just would
have bought one that wasn't broken. :) I'll be sure to be wearing my
body armor and safety goggles when I work on it. :)

Thanks again!

Tom

Original poster: "Mark R Dunn" <teslamark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Thomas:

It's likely Borosilicate(ie Pyrex).  Sounds like the fill tube is broken.
The fix is not trivial and needs to be performed by an expert glass-blower.
Otherwise you risk breaking the globe due to differential expansion of the
glass by uneven heating.

Mark