Re: Looking for an 18KV distribution arrester

Original poster: FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx In a message dated 4/28/07 7:56:22 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

>I've also got a dozen or so 3kV
>ceramics the size of soda cans.  These latter ones are
>brand new in boxes with mounting hardware.

Those wouldn't happen to be the "Kearney" arrestors, would they? A local surplus buddy of mine gave me one to check out. 3kV, new in the box with hardware. He has a bunch.
    I've posted this before, but I'll say it again:

I dissected one of those 3kV Kearneys, after I tested it with a NST. Did its job with the NST across it. However, when I dissected it, I found a .22 LR blank was designed into it. I presume when the current level gets high enough, the blank is supposed to blow the endcap off the thing and quench the arc.

    So be careful how you mount those.

-Phil LaBudde

See what's free at <http://www.aol.com?ncid=AOLAOF00020000000503>AOL.com.