Re: Equdrive circuit, was Re: SGTC

Hi Phil,

Why would one cap "conduct" (discharge?) without the current going through the other one as well?

It would have to. The caps are series connected through the primary. If a single cap retains a charge, that charge will be felt across both caps as soon as alternating current ended. The transformer will provide R to and will discharge the caps. I was thinking along the lines of a long discharge situation. But, if we think about DCR of a transformer (any of the ones we use from NST's to Pigs), it's no where high enough to cause a large discharge time. As a matter of fact, it should be immediate. Your right Phil, the cap can't retain a charge without an open circuit. It's that simple.

I looked at the theory from a discharge rate, but didn't throw numbers at it (my bad). 5RC is a fraction of a second even for a 4500 ohm 12/60 NST secondary. There's no way to retain a charge without an open circuit condition (floating secondary or not).

I hate to waffle on a subject. That's what I get for trying to figure out (in what possible way) could there be a retained charge. Then I thought, it must be a long discharge time and just threw those thoughts out. But the numbers don't lie and a remaining charge is only possible in an open circuit. An open circuit can only be caused by a failure or a series gap configuration.

Take care,
Bart