Re: indication of good tuning (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 02:51:24 -0700
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: indication of good tuning (fwd)

Hi Matthew,

Sparks coming out of the topload or nothing coming out of the topload
does not define a tuned circuit. That is ridiculous! A tuned circuit for
two or more transformers at resonance simply indicates that their
individual resonant frequency is the same (regardless if far from each
other or in close proximity). Whoever said, "Having sparks coming out of
the top load is wasted energy, showing that the coil isn't properly
tuned due to its inefficiency" is selling something (their project,
theory, or thoughts for a moment). Or, that line of text is taken out of
context.

Realize that when two coils are tuned to resonance, they are simply
tuned to resonate with each other. In either case, they may or may not
emit sparks. This has nothing to do with tuning. If you build a coil
that you desire to emit sparks, then build it accordingly and tune it to
resonance. If you build a coil that you desire no sparks, then build it
accordingly and tune it to resonance. Both cases are tuned for resonance
and are exactly the same.

Thus, neither case (long sparks or short sparks) identify a properly
tuned coil. But, if you are building a coil for spark discharge, the
longest spark is simply a means that our human vision can distinguish a
properly tuned coil. If the coil has a topload radius incapable of
producing sparks due the power/voltage/current, then other means must be
used to determine resonance (measurements).

Take care,
Bart