Re: Resonance equations (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2007 19:54:44 -0500
From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Resonance equations (fwd)

Hi Dave,

If you were working with a simple lumped LC circuit (not coupled to
anything else), it will have a single resonant frequency. The secondary
coil is actually a distributed LC circuit and exhibits significantly
more complex behavior. For Tesla coil tuning purposes it can be viewed
as having a single fundamental (i.e., lowest) resonant frequency.

However, if you were working with two coupled resonant LC circuits (like
a Tesla Coil), you will see two resonant peaks as you adjust the driving
frequency. This occurs even if each LC circuit was separately tuned to
the same frequency (when isolated from each other). The act of simply
coupling the two circuits together (via either magnetic coupling,
electrostatic coupling, or a combination) will cause two resonant
"humps" to appear on either side of the original frequency - these are
sometimes called the upper and lower sidebands. The greater the
coupling, the wider the separation between the upper and lower
frequencies. This is sometimes called "frequency splitting" in Tesla
Coils, and this phenomenon was used extensively to create simple RF
bandpass filters for older analog (superhet) radios. Trying to
"instrument tune" coupled resonant circuits is a bit tricky because of
this effect.

During energy transfer between the primary and secondary (which occurs
only when the spark gap is firing on a disruptive coil), both the upper
and lower "sideband" frequencies will be seen. Once the spark gap
quenches, the secondary will ring down at its own (isolated) frequency.
If you used a spectrum analyzer when the coil was operating you'd see
the upper and lower sidebands while the gap was firing, and the middle
frequency when the secondary rung down. A magnifier can be even more
complex since it actually has three LC circuits, but its behavior is
well understood.

Some good theory that ties this together for two coil Tesla Coils can be
seen on Richie Burnette's site - see the Frequency Splitting section on
this page:
http://www.richieburnett.co.uk/operatn2.html#quenching

Bert
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by huge
magnetic fields, Lichtenberg Figures (our "Captured