Re: New VTTC (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2007 23:00:40 -0400
From: David Speck <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: New VTTC (fwd)

Matt,

I asked a similar question a few years back -- was there an intrinsic
limit to the size and scale of a VTTC?  It seems like about the biggest
VTTC I've seen has a roughly 4" secondary, driven by 1 to 4 833s, with a
max spark length of perhaps 30", roughly corresponding to a 12 kV 30 mA
NST system.  OTOH, disruptive coils have grown to the megascale of the
LOD setup with hundred(s) of kW inputs.

It seems like there are lotsa really big power tubes out there, like a
3CX25000, or the 5 kW industrial glass bottles I scored from an old
induction heating system which just cry out for a 12" or 24" secondary
to drive, yet, I've seen no one build something of this scale.

Cameron Prince  did some innovative work recently by which he was able
to get much better discharges from a single 833 by moving the feedback
coil nearly half way up the secondary.  Not sure why it worked, but I
have one of his coils that can do at least 24" discharges in staccato
mode with a single 833A driven by two MOTs, with the plate just barely
getting red.

I didn't get any definitive responses last time.  It sure would be
interesting to see if a large scale VTTC could be developed.

Dave