Re: sparkless rotary spark gap (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2007 22:01:05 -0500
From: resonance <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: sparkless rotary spark gap (fwd)

The air turbulence of a RSG helps significantly to provide proper quenching,
ie, disconnecting in the primary circuit to allow the sec coil to "ring" at
its resonant frequency.  It also keeps the electrode tips cool --- something
an opening and closing mechanical gap could not do properly.

To charge a cap you need the contacts apart, then they close to discharge
the cap.  If the contacts stay closed the power transformer is directly
shorted and no current flows into the cap --- it just loops around back to
the xmfr.  It would be difficult to mechanically open and close the spark
gap --- a rotary motion makes the process much easier especially with high
power coils.

Modern coil design is beginning to totally eliminate the spark gap and all
it's high heat/light losses.  IGBT switching is the wave of future coils.
At present we are working on a project using a microprocesser to provide
complete control over all switching elements, ie, pulse width, pulse
duration, power level, etc.  EE Steve Ward is working on the initial design
of this system.

Regards,

Dr. Resonance
Resonance Research Corp.