Re: sparkless rotary spark gap (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2007 16:22:21 -0400
From: Scott Bogard <teslas-intern@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: sparkless rotary spark gap (fwd)

Ameen,
     This Idea has already been thought of, check the archives under "full
contact spark gap".  My idea was to have a rotary gap, but instead of have
electrodes pass by each other, the G10 or whatever disk would have the
tungsten flush with the surface, and the disk would be pinched between 2
bronze rollers or bushings.  There are, as several have already said,
problems with this scenario.  So, how do you prevent arcing before contact,
which would allow most of the ring down to occur before contact, negating
any benefits.  I suggested the use of an insulator (like really good oil)
under which the disk could be submerged, this will allow the electrodes to
get much closer (until the oil gets spoiled, so one will have to filter it
constantly), but they will still arc to an extant.  Another preventive
method would be to have about 8 or more disks in series, so that the arctime
before contact would be practically 0 (as the physical distance would be
greater, and approach 0 much faster).  Together these may lead to a working
gap, but look how complicated it has become.  As scary as solid state stuff
seems to a person like myself, with virtually no semiconductor experience or
training, it is (for now at least) the way to go.  I have read in "popular
science" that carbon nanotube technology will allow the construction of
semiconductors that will be much much better than that currently available
(1 tube can conduct 1000 times better than copper of the same size, which is
very small granted), when this technology is perfected (I should say "if")
very good things could happen in the coiling world.  But, with all that
said, there is absolutely no reason you should not try to build a full
contact spark gap.  Good luck.
Scott Bogard.

>From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
>To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: sparkless rotary spark gap (fwd)
>Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2007 06:48:53 -0600 (MDT)

Learn.Laugh.Share. Reallivemoms is right place!