Re: Resonance equations (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 22:03:13 -0500
From: Shaun Epp <scepp@xxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Resonance equations (fwd)

I think what your measuring is a result of mutual impeadance (Xm).  Your
driving you test setup with a coil magnetincally coupled to your test
circuit, when doing this your going to get mutual impedance reflected
between your two coils which will change the resonant frequency. Depending
on the degree of coupling you may get more that one resonant point,
ie -sidebands.  Note that the refected impeadance with be opposite from
primary coil to secondary.  In other words if you secondary is inductive at
a given frequency, it will be reflected as capacitive in the primary
circuit.

why don't you try direct drive and take your measurements:

Derivation of resonance:

Resonance occurs when capacitive reactance (Xc) and inductive reactance (Xl)
are equal.  So Xc = Xl

        Xc =       1
                  --------
                    2 pi f c

and   Xl = 2 pi f l

so at resonance with no resistance.

       1
----------  =  2 pi f l
 2 pi f c

now reange for to solve for f

f^2 =           1
            4 pi^2 l c

now take the square root of both sides and simplify:

f =          1
      2 pi  sqrt(l c)

voila we have the standard resonance equation.

Shaun Epp