Re: Why am I getting small sparks? Am I underpowered? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2007 18:25:45 -0700
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Why am I getting small sparks? Am I underpowered? (fwd)

Hi Treavor,

I don't know if you have tried measuring your caps, but always a good
idea with bottle caps. I suspect a little under 1nF per bottle. The
15/30 NST in a static gap application would enjoy a cap value of about
8nF. Before doing too much, I recommend adjusting what you have now to a
balance of components. To do this, I recommend removing 4 bottles and
using only 10 for about 9.5nF. This will dramatically improve the bps to
a normal level (it's likely way down there right now). The coil will
resonate at about 230kHz, so about turn 11 with 10 bottles. For some
practical numbers, if your using 1/4" bolts in the gap, set the gap
distance to 0.375" or less. If 1/2" bolts, 1/4" or less. Note, the bolt
gaps will get hot quickly. Hard to cool down also. So maybe short runs
with time between runs to allow cool down. Multisegments are better for
cooling and longer runs without heat. Bottle caps are notorious for
corona and there are losses associated with that. The greatest losses
are usually in the gap however. When you get the chance, I recommend
replacing the bottles with an MMC (stable, high energy, low loss, and
easy to build).

Take care,
Bart